Do you want to be the next basketball pro? Then you've got to learn the right moves. I'm sure you've dreamed of trying to dunk a basketball and show off to your fellow teammates and opponents. But the question is: How to dunk a basketball?
There's no minimum height to dunk, it just requires training and practice! Wondering what type of moves and practices you should do to dunk higher? I give you the easiest and effective ways on how to train for dunking a basketball. After this, you'll be dunking effortlessly and with style in no time!
Share this Image On Your Site
There are tons of moves you'll be able to do while playing basketball. It's what makes the sport so intense! With basketball, you'll be able to improve on your stamina and efficiency, having you become a better player and win the game. One of the best basketball moves would be dunking, something that every basketball player aspires to do. But with that being said, it doesn't come naturally (or does, just rarely!). It will take training a lot of practice. There are a ton of tips people share on dunking a basketball, but some may not be effective, or just some hoax.
To help you out and achieve your dreams of dunking, we show you what you need to know and how to train to dunk a basketball!
What Makes Dunking a Basketball So Special?
Dunking a ball, or commonly known as a slam dunk, is a basketball move that requires high jumping. Basically, you'll be shooting the ball and jumping towards the basketball hoop for you to surely shoot the ball in the basket. When you dunk, you are literally shooting the ball down through the basket with your hands on top of the rim. Sometimes you hold on to it, other times, you're higher than the basket itself.
Seems hard jumping feet above the air, which is why many people watch in awe and admiration when they see athletes perform a slam dunk!
How Tall Do You Have to Be to Dunk?
Not everyone will be able to do a slam dunk. While there's no minimum height, it may be more difficult for very short players to perform this move (no offense to those on the smaller side!). But that doesn't mean you can't try. It also depends on the height of your vertical jump and how much you practice.
They say that the average height for people who can slam dunk would be about 5'10 to 6 feet and above.
Some people have argued that people under 5'6 can't dunk, there are notable players who are shorter than that, but have achieved a slam dunk! Muggsy Bogues is 5'3. Earl Boykins is 5'5, and Frank Yang and Spud Webb are 5'7. So we can say that as long as you've got the goal to slam dunk and practice jumping smart and high, anyone will be able to do it. Check this video out!
Before Learning How to Dunk a Basketball
Like mentioned, dunking basketball requires you to jump as high as you can to go over the rim and shoot the ball. While it sounds simple, it requires major jumping skills. It all boils down to the height of your jump, with your height being a plus. Before training, here are some tips to follow through:
- Warm up before training to stretch your muscles and avoid injury.
- Get an adjustable height basket to get used to the process and have you achieve small goals until you start reaching for the big one!
- Invest in the best pair of basketball shoes that can help support your feet and vertical jump.
- Make sure that you are dead set on learning, having the focus, concentration, and the motivation. Keep going and move forward, no matter how hard it may seem to be.
How to Train to Dunk a Basketball
Dunking requires you to improve on your vertical jump ability, meaning you will need to learn how to jump higher to dunk. Here are some training exercises to follow:
- Practice jumping, leaping higher each time. Jump around the court and try touching the net with a running jump.
- Running uphill or upstairs will help develop your lower body and flexibility, which is important for jumping higher.
- Develop your flexibility with stretching and resistance exercises to build your muscles. Search up on plyometric exercises to help both your muscular endurance and height!
- Increase your vertical leap through leg workouts, such as calf raises, squats and lunges, and wall sits. Focus on your legs, hips, and glutes.
- Learn how to land correctly when dunking to avoid injury. DON'T hang on the rim!
Do these every time you train for basketball, usually a few times a week with rest days. Get the hang of it, and you'll be dunking successfully in no time.
When it comes to playing basketball, you'll want to know all the moves and how to perform it with style and skill. Dunking a basketball is a move greatly admired by athletes, but it takes skill and practice to actually do it. Hopefully, this article on how to train to dunk a basketball will have helped you know how to train and what to do to achieve a slam dunk and have everyone in awe! So what are you waiting for? Hit the courts and start practicing today! If you keep it up, you'll be able to dunk in no time.
We hope you enjoyed the infographic! Do you have any other tips or suggestions to share with fellow basketball fans? Then comment down below. We would love to hear your thoughts about how to dunk a basketball!